News & opinion on Greater China and the even Greater Beyond: by Biff Cappuccino.

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Hi D.: Michelle Malkin is always doing that kind of right-wing revisionist stuff. I'd have to see her arguments to see if I thought she's making sense. Her reviewer didn't strike me as having much per logic skills and seemed just a tad flighty to boot: I don't trust the reviewer's judgement much. As to the revision of McCarthyism, Ms. Colter is awfully strident but I'm inclined to agree with her basic premises: (a) McCarthyism has been hyped to all get out and (b) that McCarthy was correct about the existence of commies. Indeed he underestimated the number as released CIA files have since demonstrated.

Was reading a rant about Tom Delay being involved in sweatshops working Chinese workers to death at 84 hour workweeks. Didn't persuade me too much as I used to work 84 hour workweeks in Canada and wanted to work 100 hour workweeks but the idiot government of Ontario taxes the hell out of you the more you work thus strongly discouraging the effort. 84 hours/week = 7 days at 12 hour shifts. Which is what I did at an apple orchard. Seasonal work is like that. You sleep through the winter and work like the Dickens during the summer and fall. I'm sure the Chinese workers doing this are working for several months to a year and then moving on with their savings.

Why punish poor people by not letting them work overtime if they want to? In New Brunswick, as recently as 1990, I had been working about US$2.25 forty hours a week. You can't win at those wages and so I left for Toronto's suburb of Burlington to work for US$5 an hour, living in the orchard and working 12 hour shifts on the apple press. I lived and worked sweatshop conditions for three months and left with my wallet bulging. Was I taken advantage of? I've also worked these sort of hours in Taiwan when you combine Howard and outside work together. Which was how I've been able to take five-month vacations every year for the past ten or more years. In its effort to protect me from myself the US left-wing would limit me to forty hours a week and a two or four-week vacation every year. The left's inadvertant contempt for the worker strikes again...

With the right, you get something approaching honesty: for example, the best-selling book, "Greed Works." Even if the left agreed, it would have to package it in pieties. The left is as contemptuous and racist, when all is said and done, concerning minorities as the right: it just employs hypocritical, and thus even more farcical and incompetent, policies than the right. Minimum wage is an excellent example and so is packing racial preferences at schools. The road to hell is paved with well-intentioned morons...

Libertarianism, a sort of zen of policy -- i.e. a hands-off, live and let live, natural and respectful-of-others approach -- is the best thing I've seen so far.

My 50 cents worth...

P.S. Malkin, via a search of C-span.org, can be seen and heard in the flesh if I'm not mistaken...

Biff Cappuccino....

No comments:

Post a Comment